Monday, January 11, 2010


DELICIOUS FOOD

One of the biggest myths I have heard about eating natural, healthy food is, "You have to sacrifice taste in order to do so." That could not be farther from the truth. I have always loved delicious food that is a feast for the eyes and smells wonder-filled. Giving up taste has never been an option.

My foods preparation genre is a fusion of African American Southern, Caribbean, Italian, and Spanish. I specialize in natural vegetarian fare, using natural, wholesome ingredients; I cook with fresh produce, spices and store-bought ingredients. I prepare fresh fish (upon request.) And, like my hometown of New York, my food is a 'Multicultural Melting Pot' spiced with love.

My recipes come out of my head and heart when I think about food. I am inspired by seeing ingredients, when I go to the store, and also by other recipes. When I taste or see something that I like, I go to the kitchen, make it, and substitute ingredients I feel would work better. Olive oil is a key ingredient in so many recipes. It can be used in many different dishes (soups, salads, sauces, dressing) as well as in meals. You can use it to sauté, bake, roast, and fry.) I would also use tomato sauce because it can be used in preparing breakfast, lunch or dinner. My other favorites are onions, coconut milk, grade B maple syrup, sea salt and apples, because they are so versatile.


CLEASTER’S TOP 5 TIPS

LOVE / NOURISH / ENJOY and HEAL
Engage in a fresh, enjoyable relationship with food. Enrich your current level of culinary abilities by learning tips on how to make better food choices, prepare good food, eat more nutritionally, and think out of the box and across cultures. Shopping, selecting and preparing food while entertaining and being entertained by my guests is the glue to family and community. Love is an ingredient that nourishes and is an important component in the taste of food. I cook all of my food with love. My energy is transferred into the food during the selection, preparation and plating process. I treat each ingredient with tender loving care and am thankful to Mother Earth for giving them to me.


BE CREATIVE and BRAVE… STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE
Tap into the taste buds of various cultures and do not be afraid to spice your food generously. Use various spices such as curry, basil, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, cayenne, and sea salt.) Experiment with supportive ingredients such as tomato sauce, coconut milk, orange juice, and agave nectar.


CHOOSE FINE INGREDIENTS / QUALITY OVER QUANTITY
Choose the freshest, highest quality ingredients, choose the brands that you know to be tried, true. Be consistent and do not cut corners in this regard and half your work is done.


DO NOT SACRIFICE FLAVOR
Use different oils (olive oil, safflower oil, or a very small amount of truffle oil.) To empower flavor, use the liquid in which an ingredient is packed instead of pouring it out and using water.) Add a little sweetness to greens to smooth out the strong flavor; to tomato sauce to cut the acidity and create a milder taste.



DECISIONS EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
Use olive oil and sea salt to mimic butter; instead of meat and fat, season vegetables with onions, scallions, shallots, peppers, cilantro, basil. Change the flavor of the recipe by choosing if you will cut, slice, chop, dice, julienne, or tear. Decide what ratio you will use of each ingredient when preparing and plating your food.


I am thankful to every one of you for inspiring the dishes I prepare and enjoy with you. I see you. Here's to Your Highest Health!

Cleaster Cotton, Natural Gourmet Chef


Photography © all rights reserved Cleaster Cotton,

0 comments:

Post a Comment